19 January 2021
From 4 January 2021 to 28 March 2021, a new rate of JobKeeper payments apply for businesses whose actual GST turnover in the December 2020 quarter (October - December 2020), as compared to its turnover in the December 2019 quarter, has declined by at least:
- 30% (for businesses with total turnover of $1 billion or less);
- 50% (for businesses with total turnover of more than $1 billion); or
- 15% (for certain not-for-profits).
Depending on the number of hours worked by each employee or business participant in the business during the four weeks before 1 March 2020 or 1 July 2020, the new JobKeeper rate is either:
- $1,000 per fortnight where the employee or business participant worked 80 or more hours in the business during the four weeks before 1 March 2020 or 1 July 2020.
- $650 per fortnight where the employee or business participant worked less than 80 hours in the business during the four weeks before 1 March 2020 or 1 July 2020.
To claim JobKeeper in 2021, your business will need to meet the following deadlines:
28 January 2021
- Complete the December business monthly declaration. From February 2021, the business monthly declaration must be submitted on the 14th of each month.
31 January 2021
- If your business is claiming JobKeeper for the first time, you must enrol for JobKeeper, submit a “Check decline in turnover” form and notify the ATO which payment rate applies to your eligible employees.
- Pay your eligible employees at least the JobKeeper amount that applies to them (either $1,000 or $650) for each JobKeeper fortnight starting on 4 January 2021 and 18 January 2021.
Visit the ATO website for more information on JobKeeper key dates. For assistance with any JobKeeper claims or for more guidance through this process, please talk to your adviser or contact the Findex Tax Advisory team.