Getting your first job

With university starting many students start seeking their first job to help support their studies.

It’s important to know what information or paper work you will need to have ready to provide to a future employer once you have a job

The very first thing you are going to need is a tax file number or TFN. Your employer will get you to complete a declaration form which requires your TFN and if you don’t provide your TFN will mean your employer will withhold 49% of your wages as tax.

When applying for a TFN you will need proof of your identity.

You can apply for your TFN online. You will need to be interviewed with your identity documents at an Australia Post retail outlet. The Australia Post website can help you find your nearest participating retail outlet.

Otherwise, you will need to complete the paper application form and provide the necessary identity documents when you lodge the form with the ATO.

You can order the paper form via the ATO website or telephone them. Some ATO shop fronts have copies of the form, but I suggest calling before you go to make sure they have it in stock.

If you’re under 18 and still at school you can use the ATO’s secondary school TFN program. It’s the easiest way for you to get a TFN as your school can verify your identity.

Other than your TFN, your new employer will need your bank account details (so they can pay your wages electronically). If you don’t have a bank account, now would be a good time to open one up.

Lastly, you will need to nominate a superannuation fund for your employer to pay any superannuation guarantee payments into.

If you don’t nominate a superannuation fund, your employer will be required to pay any superannuation guarantee payments into a default fund of their choosing.